Worlds of food activities for support with home learning
Explore how climate affects food from around the world and encourage your children to eat a balanced diet with free resources from Aldi.
Key questions you could ask your children to research:
- What are the similarities and difference between different national dishes?
- What is a climate zone/can you name and describe a hot, warm and cold country?
- How does climate and geography influence food and national dishes?
Key learning aspects:
- The similarities, differences and diversity among people of different race, culture in the context of food traditions.
- Factors that might influence decisions about eating a balanced diet.
- Identifying and applying features of climate and physical geography to a discussion of world food.
- Watch the Travel with Food film (on webpage link) and discuss the questions.
- Work together to group the Country_Match_activity and play the Country Match game.
- Give students one or more fruit or vegetables from the Colouring_Plants_activity. Ask them to colour the image and answer the questions (answers provided on final sheet). Once complete ask children to do their own research to find out one/two more ‘fun facts’ about that plant, including a recipe that uses it.
Ages 7 – 9
- Use the Worlds_of_Food_ to guide your students through an exploration of geography and food.
- As prompted through the presentation, use the Country_Match_activity and play the Country Match game.
- Use the Your National Dish activity sheet/template on slide 20 the support students in creating a dish from the options provided for their fictional nation.
- Download the Key_Vocabulary to support students in building their core geographical and food vocabulary.
- Use the Worlds_of_Food_2 to guide your students through an exploration of geography and food.
- As prompted through the presentation, use the Where_in_the_World to match national dishes to their country, or use the paperless version in the presentation.
- Use the Your National Dish activity sheet/template on slide 24 the support students in creating a dish for their fictional nation.
- Download the Worlds of Food Key Vocabulary information sheet to support students in building their core geographical and food vocabulary.